You’ve reached your 20’s and now have greater independence. This is your chance to figure out who you are, what you want to achieve in the next five to ten years and how to expand your horizons! You may have set hard goals such as settling down and having a family, starting a business or even investing for your retirement, but pursuing a personal “bucket list” allows you to gain new experiences and to invest in becoming the best version of yourself. You are wise to plan for your future but do enjoy the here and now and aim to achieve these fun yet fulfilling goals before you turn 30!
Now would be a good time to look at yourself and evaluate what you need to develop and improve on. Consider the following:
1 Learn a new language. Be it Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese, or Russian, learning a new language opens the world to you as you will be able to converse with people from other countries.
2 Learn to drive a car. Once you learn to drive, you will become more independent and empowered to go to different places. You will be able to explore towns and cities better than if you had to commute by public transport.
3 Read 100 books. It’s easier than it sounds. If you’re 25 years old and you read two books a month, you would finish 100 books long before you turn 30!
4 Get an executive checkup. If any health issues are found, it is best to tackle them sooner than later. Schedule regular dental checkups twice a year as well. Don’t forget to take time for regular skin care treatments like facials and hair removal sessions like waxing and threading to your regimen, which you can avail of at Centuria Medical Makati.
5 Take up and develop a new skill or hobby. Do you enjoy eating? Consider learning how to bake or cook. If you enjoy working on the computer, you could study coding. Learning how to make macrame decor or do calligraphy would be fun, too!
6 Widen your network. Aside from friends you grew up with in school or in your hometown, do make friends outside of your immediate social circle. For example, attending home parties of your friends and their siblings or joining activity clubs will give you opportunities to meet new and interesting people. Making the right connections can help you later on in your chosen field.
7 Keep up with current events. This opens your eyes on a global scale as you learn to see beyond the boundaries of your own country. It also empowers you to converse intelligently with everyone, including people from other countries.
8 Go on a quiet retreat. Apart from reaching out to others, introspection or looking within oneself improves self-awareness and understanding of one’s strengths and weaknesses. You can also try starting a meditation or yoga practice to help you find your inner balance.
9 Play or spend time with someone young. As much as getting over your teenage years can be a relief from those bursts of emotion and drama, spending time with someone young gives you the opportunity to look beyond yourself to help him cope with teenage angst. Playing with a child and dealing with tantrums, on the other hand, will help you develop creativity, patience, and maturity.
10 Spend time with your elders: parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents. They grew up in a time very different from yours so talking with them will give insight on their life expectations and the trials they had to cope with in their younger years. There is so much you can learn from them!
TRAVEL AND ADVENTURE GOALS
1 Visit at least eight beautiful islands in the country. The Philippines has 7,107 islands so it would not be difficult to choose eight that would fit into your preferred region, targeted budget, and chosen activity.
2 Learn scuba diving or join a beach clean-up drive. There are dive centers in Makati, San Juan, and Quezon City that offer beginner level diving lessons, whether for Open Water (Professional Association of Diving Instructors or PADI) or Scuba Diver certification (National Association of Underwater Instructors or NAUI). For the less adventurous, you can do your share in keeping our beaches pristine by volunteering in a clean-up drive in a popular destination like Siargao or El Nido.
3 Hike up a mountain or two. To reach the summit, all it takes is your sheer determination. Start with a mountain with a reasonable elevation height, about 500 to 700 meters. Invest in a pair of hiking sticks and a pair of hiking shoes. Build your stamina by walking long distances and climbing staircases as much as you can. Go hiking with a group and by the time you reach the summit, the view will show you how your effort was so worth it!
4 Travel with friends. Traveling with friends takes your usual weekend plans (and bonding) to the next level, allowing you to get to know each other more, especially as you find your way through a different place, whether you go to a local or international destination. Save your money by resisting buying new clothes or gadgets. Choose the destination you want to visit, book into a hotel or an Airbnb within your budget, and buy your plane tickets early. Remember to check if you need to apply for a visa!
5 Check into a 5-star hotel. Pamper yourself and experience the luxury that only a 5-star hotel can give. Sip cocktails by the pool, indulge in a two-hour spa treatment, order room service and have breakfast in bed because why not? It will be an experience worth remembering!
6 Go on a European trip. Aside from checking out the usual tourist spots and having your mandatory photo taken, immerse yourself in the local food and culture scene by visiting museums, trying the local delicacies, and picking up a bit of history that makes Europe a must-visit destination. You will have to apply for a Tourist Schengen Visa for you to enter any of the 26 countries within the Schengen Area. Buy a European Rail Pass and you’ll be able to go from one country to another easily. Plan your trip well and read traveler blogs, which can give you tips on the best places to visit and the best restaurants to try!
7 Treat your parents to a vacation. Whether out of the country, out of town, or a city staycation in an amazing property, give your parents some well-deserved time out and spend quality time with them.
8 Go wine tasting and learn about wine. Whether it’s a privately hosted wine tasting party or a commercially organized event, it would be a rare opportunity to taste different kinds of wines and educate yourself on the countries that produce them and how Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Syrah (Shiraz), Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, and Riesling differ from each other.
9 Try 15 different international cuisines: Japanese, Korean, Italian, Spanish, American, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Persian, Brazilian, Mexican, Chinese, Greek, French, and Persian. Troop to authentic restaurants; the station in your favorite buffet doesn’t count.
10 Go on a solo trip. Sometimes the best travel companion is yourself. Make the trip more enjoyable by booking a comfortable seat in a regular airline if you’re flying on your sojourn, and booking a nice hotel where you can unwind after a day of exploring.
1. Get yourself life insurance. Your life will be insured and in the event of your untimely death, your family is assured of financial support. If you have a child, your child’s education can continue, and your family can settle any obligations you left behind. Opt for a variable universal life insurance (VUL) so that it comes with investment.
2. Have savings equal to your annual income.Having a good degree of liquidity gives you financial security. If you ever need to go on an extended vacation or even leave your current employment, your savings will keep your head afloat while you take a break or look for another job.
3. Set aside an emergency fund. Some financial experts suggest setting aside three to nine months’ worth of salary to help you cover medical emergencies, whether yours or of a family member. Being ready is better than being sorry!
4. Invest in stocks.Make sure you learn all about it before you dive into it. Find a reputable corporation that you want to be a shareholder of or a startup that is predicted to succeed. The return on your investment in stocks has the greatest potential but be aware that there are risks as well.
5. Invest in a piece of jewelry.Instead of buying a lot of affordable but fancy accessories, think about saving up for the real thing. Gold or platinum jewelry last longer and are worth more in the long run as these have resale value and can be passed on to your next of kin.
6. Invest in quality designer goods.Investing in luxury designer pieces such as a bag and watch is a wise move because of the quality of the items. These pieces are made of the finest materials with excellent craftsmanship, giving you your money’s worth.
7. Use your credit card to build good credit, not to be buried in debt.Having a credit card doesn’t mean splurging on every whim and fancy; use your credit card to regularly pay bills and other expenses so you can earn points for freebies and build your credit standing.
8. Buy a car if you need one.Look for the make and model that fits into your budget. Be ready to hand in the 20 to 30 percent down payment and apply for a car loan to cover the rest. If you cannot afford a brand new car yet, buy directly from a friend or trusted source. Choose a car in good condition and preferably with low mileage.
9. Invest in art. This may not necessarily be a painting. Opt for something that speaks to you and reflects your taste and personality. It’s a good idea to do research on local artists and visit galleries as you go hunting for art you like.
10. Invest in your own home. Nothing says you made it more than owning your own home. Like any investment piece, choose a home that is of high quality and suits your lifestyle and personality. Investing in a home while you’re young and at the peak of your productive years is a wise move so you can complete your mortgage earlier.
Your home is the realization of the life you’ve always dreamed of. In this case, Azure Urban Resort Residences will be a good investment as it addresses the needs of your active lifestyle amidst a beautiful resort setting. Plus, Century Properties offers flexible terms for Azure Urban Resort Residences. If you can’t make up your mind just yet, go on a staycation at Siglo Suites and have a taste of luxury and comfort as only Century Properties can provide.
Photos courtesy of Unsplash and Pexels